Wednesday, May 18, 2011

How This Transformation Started...

I decided to start this blog to document my journey from life-long tomboy to "diva". I've always been the friend seen wearing rock band t-shirts and jeans. The only time I've been seen in a skirt or dress for the last 10 years are funerals or weddings. Thanks to a series of events and TV shows, I've decided it's time to shed that old, non- condusive image and become the "pretty girl" I didn't think I could ever be!

It all started with watching "What Not To Wear" and coming to the painful realization that they'd have a field day with my old school band t-shirts, baggy jeans and plethora of sneakers. I saw many of the women griping about their weight and body types, and realized "Wow, I shouldn't really be complaining here... I am naturally small boned and at a normal weight for my height..." I saw other tomboyish women looking great with the right clothing choices, which planted the seed...

Next I happened upon "RuPaul's Drag Race". You may wonder- "How would a bunch of drag queens inspire you?". Exactly- they're not natural women and are beautiful! I saw all the effort these entertainers put into their image- cosmetics, proper wardrobe to camoflouge flaws, wigs/extensions. I also realized, the characters these queens have developed for themselves have come from their own vision of what femininity is, so why can't I recreate myself in such a fashion, too?

Final straw- I have some friends I've met online from Asia. I'm considered exceptionally short by American standards and a tad on the thin side for my height, and these friends recommended ordering from companies based in, and making clothing for, the Asian market. I took a look at some of the online catalogs and was amazed to see models built very similarly to myself looking very feminine and cute, without looking silly or like I'm making too much of an effort.

On top of all this, I will be moving away from the area I've lived in all of my life in the near future. What better time to reinvent yourself than in a brand new hometown around brand new potential friends and colleagues? And so, the journey begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment